Business with a heart – is it really viable, or is it some daft spiritual nonsense? That’s going to be my journey and investigation over the coming months. It’s going to be ‘interesting’ and hopefully it will be inspirational and give us all hope!
Here is my first Facebook live video, talking through why I’m so passionate about it:
I’m not ignoring the fact that a business does need to:
- Make profit – it’s not a dirty word, it’s what gives it stability and means there can be reinvestment
- Market itself – i.e. let the world know it is there
- Sell to clients – i.e. learn what the clients need and how the business can help them
- Watch cash flow – numbers are important, as cash is what makes a business succeed or fail.
- Make decision based on business needs – I remember being told that as owners we ‘work for the business’ and never to forget that we owe the business the right decisions.
‘Success’ is a funny old thing and can be measured in many ways. But I like to think of us proving that a Business with a heart can still provide:
- A fair income (so many business owners earn less than their employees)
- a pension
- ‘Healthy wealth’ – where you earn enough to be able to look after your health, house and family
- Provide for your family – there is that saying about when you visit a small business you are paying for a little girl to learn to play the piano – and it is so true (but dance in my case, and both children!).
But I’m hopeful I can prove that long term profit and a more secure future can be made without:
- Being cut throat or vicious
- Lying, stealing or manipulating
- Trying to damage someone else business or target them
- Treating staff badly
- Losing your morals or ethics
- Losing your soul and becoming cynical and bad tempered
Do you have a story about your business that I can post? I would love to – to support you and also to give hope to other struggling businesses. Get in touch via my Facebook page.