Add to that the fact that hairy northern hubby and I didn’t gell so well on beach holidays; I liked lots of romantic attention and sunbathing/reading and he liked ‘doing’ stuff. So for years we did things like snowboarding instead.
I approached our first family summer beach holiday with
some huge trepidation.
Are you worrying about yourself in a bikini? I was. But you don’t need to!
‘Why?’ you might ask?
Because you are going on holiday with the family means there will be a pile of other Mums there too, and from what I could see around the pool we are pretty much all in the same boat. Phew!
Here is my summary of what I saw …
– Skinny Mums – 2% – hardly anyone has managed to remain skinny after motherhood.
– Slim Gym Toned Mums – 8% – There were a few, and all but one had children of school age. It proved that there is a clear change in how much time is available for exercise after the kids all go to school. So it’s a matter of being realistic about where we are now and where we will be in a few years time.
– Look OK In Clothes, but a bit wobbly around the edges in a bikini – 30% – Loads of Mums fitted this category. They looked fab in the evenings, weren’t particularly over weight, but probably had one problem area that was causing them some worry. In a few years time they will either sort it out, or decide it’s really not worth the gym time for a small gain of half a stone.
– Still Got Some Baby Weight – 30% – Loads of Mums fitted this category. They tended to have kids under 6yrs old, and they were carrying just a little excess weight. It was the choice of bikini and dresses that affected what they looked like though, not the weight. If you are here and would like to get to ‘Look OK in Clothes’ then check out my weight loss tips; I lost 2.5 stone following them after Little Dimples and 4stone years ago.
– Overweight – 20% – Some Mums had more weight than could be explained away by the effects of child birth, or hitting the biscuit cupboard after kids. But they could still look fabulous in the evening, and the ones who did were following the kinds of tips that I give in my sparkle tips.
– Obese – 10% – There were a few very overweight Mums. If you are in this category, then I know you will worry, but there are still a couple of reasons why you don’t need to. Firstly there will always be someone more overweight than you. Secondly, why on earth do you care about what other people think? Most of us notice briefly and then go on with our lives. The people who are bothered by it and don’t want to be your friend because of it are still in the minority. Plus, it doesn’t mean that you can’t look gorgeous. It just means that your health could be improved, that’s all.
So if you are worrying about going on holiday, just remember that now that you are a Mum you are going to be surrounded by a pile of other Mums, and most will have the same problem.
You might also like my post on how to look fabulous in a bikini and lose 7lbs in 7seconds ;o) – it really works!